apt-proxy questions

I have setup apt-proxy on our ftp-server with the following
configuration:

;;---------------------------------------------------------------
;; Backend servers

;; Backend servers, in order of preference
backends =
	ftp://localhost/debian
	http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian
	http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian
	ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian
	http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

[debian-non-US]
;; Debian debian-non-US archive
;timeout will be the global value
backends =
	http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian-non-US
	http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US
	ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian

[security]
;; Debian security archive
backends = ftp://localhost/pub/mirrors/security.debian.org
	http://security.debian.org/debian-security
	http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian-security

And some ubuntu.

When I do a dist-upgrade with /etc/apt/sources.list referring to the
apt-proxy, I get an error message:

$ sudo apt-get update
Get:1 http://archive3.sun.ac.za sid Release.gpg [197B]
Hit http://archive3.sun.ac.za sid Release
Hit http://archive3.sun.ac.za sid/main Packages
Get:2 http://archive3.sun.ac.za sid/main Sources [1067kB]
Fetched 1067kB in 12s (86,0kB/s)
Failed to fetch
http://archive3.sun.ac.za:9999/debian/dists/sid/main/source/Sources.gz
MD5Sum mismatch
Reading package lists... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Now my questions:

1. Shouldn't apt-proxy try other sources when there is a problem with
   the first one?
2. If the first source (archive3.sun.ac.za in this case) has an
   incomplete file or missing file in the local ftp-archive, will
   apt-proxy fetch it from a secondary source?

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Ye lust, and have not; ye kill, and desire to have,
      and cannot obtain; ye fight and war, yet ye have not,
      because ye ask not."            James 4:2