Re: debian sarge freeze computer

On 8/2/05, Paulo Neves <igod.pt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
>  Hummm, I think this IBM computers don't like kernel 2.6 :).
>
>  I install kernel 2.4.27 and until now works fine too.
>
>  Regards,
> Paulo
>
> On 8/2/05, Alexander Fisher <alexjfisher@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Paulo Neves wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have a problem that  occurs on 2  IBM PIV 2.4Ghz, 1 Gb RAM and 40Gb
> > > IDE HDD with debian sarge 3.1 (kernel 2.6).
> > > On other computer, the same debian don't give-me any problem.
> >
> > Hi
> > I've exactly the same problem with similar symtoms.  Its also on IBM
> > 2.4Ghz P4s (Netvistas - I've tried two identical machines).  Its not
> > like its a complete freeze, but the system becomes *so* slow it may as
> > well be.  For example, the 'beep' you get when bash autocomplete fails
> > lasts for several seconds.  A shutdown takes tens of minutes.  I've no
> > graphical environment installed and am pretty sure that its a kernel
> > issue.
> > I've witnessed this problem on both 2.6.8-2 and 2.6.11-1 (from
> > unstable).  So far, 2.4.27-2 seems to be unaffected.  I'm not sure
> > about load average, but my cpu average was also around 0%.  If it
> > helps, I'm using XFS on top of LVM on top of RAID 1.
> > Any suggestions?  I might give a vanilla 2.6.12.3 kernel a go.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Alex

Hi All.
I'm still trying to get this fixed. I've cc-ed the debian kernel list
to see if anybody there has any thoughts.

In my opinion using a 2.4 kernel is at best a workaround and not a solution.

I've given 2.6.12-1-686 a go.  It also slows right down after a while.
 I just ran "time sleep 1"
real    0m0.000s
user   0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s
The operation actually took around 17 seconds.  Any suggestions on
what I should try next?

Thanks,
Alex