Re: Programming language for financial modeling

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Python has that whole whitespace for control thing.  Love it or hate
> it I think all would agree that if it were not for that one feature
> that Python would be the dominant language today if not for that one
> design decision.

    Quite the cobrary.  I think that if people would just get over their
misconceptions of it then Python would be the dominant scripting language.  A
lot of people hear "white space for control" and think it is some stifling,
rigid, uncompromising thing ala FORTRAN (or was it COBOL?) when it's not.  The
 simple fact which most people just don't get is that if they are indenting
their braced code properly they could program in Python without braces and
have no problems.  None.  It is only when they aren't indenting properly or
want to do something they aught not do in the first place they get into
trouble.  In the first case it's a non-issue since 99.9% of people who don't
indent properly also don't write code anyone wants to touch with a 10' pole.
In the latter case it is a simple matter of either learning one or two simple
tricks or just not doing what they aught not do.  The problem is one of
perception, not of language symantics.