Re: knoppix DVD 4.0

On 28 Jul 2005 20:01:25 -0700
"Art H" <artmoe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all. Just so you know, I'm a newbie, I downloaded,burned and booted
> up with Knoppix 4.0 with no problems and have been using Linux for a

Well, you could install it to  a partition on your HD, then you'd be
able to apt-get nearly any package in the debian repository, or even do
(gasp) a dist-upgrade to go "pure" debian. I used mepis, but didn't
initially go whole-hog into debian; rather upgraded it piecemeal,
adding extra stuff every now and then.

There should be a way to store stuff on your HD without having to
install it - I haven't tried it myself -- sure enough if you have an
existing partition setup you can mount those partitions underneath
knoppix's fs, then it would just write the stuff to the hard drive
instead of "nowhere" :).

> settings after I shut my computer off. Also what program can I use to
> read newsgroups? I'm using Google Groups at the moment. Thanks.

USB is a good intermediate step especially if you don't (yet) want to
go wiping out your existing HD and stuff :).

knoppix dvd probably has everything :) but my personal favorite for
news reading is pan. It's overall good - especially when handling large
multipart postings, but can be rather consumptive of memory.

google groups in and of itself isn't a bad way to read news - I for one
prefer a more "traditional" way of reading news, but google groups
could have some decided advantages - expecially if you're just
searching for subject matter, and (theoretically at least) you're not
at the mercy of the vagaries of your ISPs news feed (thank g-d my isp
has a direct supernews feed) :).

-
dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.