Re: losing dvd medias with k3b/growisofs

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:23:36 -0300
Frederico Rodrigues Abraham <devotion97@gmail.com> wrote:

>     Hi. I every once in a while lose dvd medias with k3b (growisofs)....
> I wonder what is wrong... is it my writer, is it the software, is it the
> media?

Dunno. I'm new at this myself. It's possible you have a dud dvd every
once in a while - depending on the media you get. It happens to me from
time to time writing CDs - for the cheaper media you might end up with
5-10 coasters per 100 or so. But the price is probably worth it - as
the saying goes, you get what you pay for. :)

What I'd recommend for starters is first see if using the growisofs
command from the command line (i.e., without K3B as a front end)
improves your situation any. For me, k3b just doesn't do a good job -
for some reason (independent of distro it seems) it usually just
crashes on startup or (when I used it a long while ago) would abort
right in the middle of burning a CD. I've never tried it on DVDs.

I can probably see one advantage to using a frontend GUI, and that's
when using drag/drop on a bunch of files - especially if they have some
directory structure. For the life of me, getting the directories and
files on the CD to match the layout on the HD is difficult, especially
when using graft points (for instance, I had a number of mp3s in 11
different directories (dir01 dir02 dir03 .... dir 11) once, and getting
it to the CD with mkisofs sure was a hassle - as I had to put in grafts
for each and every directory on the command line. I wonder how people
master CDs :).

To some extent, this applies to DVDs as well, although for movies there
are lots fewer files typically, but for data DVDs the problem may just
be as difficult if not more so.

Sorry for venting... :)

> /usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=/home/cdrom/2.5.men.iso
> -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -speed=4

One other point -- these extra options don't seem to be documented in
the man page, and I at the moment haven't run across any detailed
description of what they're for -- or even if they're needed anymore.

Also, try a lower speed - it might make a difference.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.