Re: [SWOT] Microsoft on the run?

On 8/5/05, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net> wrote:
> Perhaps these spots have been running longer, but I just heard the
> first one yesterday.
>
> Office has always been a Microsoft cash cow.  Is that cow now drying
> up?  I ask this because yesterday during a nationally syndicated
> program I heard a radio commercial for Microsoft Office.  No, the spot
> did not mention a *new* version of Office, just Office.  The spot
> describes the features of Office and gives a URL for more information
> including a download giving a 14 day free trial!
>
> I heard the same spot this morning just before 7 AM CDT during the Wall
> Street Journal Report on a different station.
>
> Is Open Office now making enough inroads that MS feels the need to keep
> its name out there?  Or is this just a pre-emptive strike against the
> upcoming OOo 2.0 release?

M$ has clearly been suffering revenue pressure. That's why they had
Level 6 licensing. Besides desktop -- which was hended to them by
hapless John Akers at IBM --- they haven't done much in terms of
market penetration. Linux is putting a lot of pressure on the server
side, and palm, symbian, linux and Java are rule the gadget market. So
basically, they have to milk the desktop cow as much as they can.

Your question, is OO putting pressure. Maybe, I am not sure. I
personally know very few people (1 in 20 at the most) who use
Microsoft Office on their home computer. Most of them (15 out of 20)
use  OO. But when it comes to work, most people use M$ products. So
it's hard to say.

This is a Debian forum. Not sure how much people would appreciate discussing OO.

Rajiv