Re: Aptitude erroneously thinks many packages are unused and wants to remove them.

> > Even if there's a third, neutral, unmarked state - it's still a
> > problem in my eyes when users switch from dselect to aptitude.
>
> It's not a problem if you tell aptitude what to do when you start using it.

How would I do that? Even if I wanted to go through all packages and
mark them, how would I tell "manually installed with aptitude, will
not touch" from "installed with whatever, treating as auto-installed"?

> In addition, if you think there is a bug in aptitude, please file a bug report.

Considering all the bug reports already filed on this or related
issues I think I'll wait for them to be fixed and then try aptitude
again. Examples:

#299009: aptitude: Different package status results from command line
vs. interactive use
#316027: aptitude: "upgrade" didn't work with unfullfilled dependencies
#164869: aptitude should be less aggressive about upgrading
#200415: aptitude: dependencies are not handled well when upgrading

as well as various other reports about aptitude not playing well with
/ ignoring state changes made by other package manager frontends.

Although aptitude incorporates some great features, especially marking
packages installed only because they were depended upon, I have purged
it for now. I really can't say it's safe to use.

C.