[solved] Re: Need help with re-install on a old SCSI Debian box

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 03:36:20PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:31:59AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > I have an old computer which I have been using as a print/file server.
> > > This afternoon there was an abrupt power outage. When the power returned
> > > this old computer would not boot up. Instead, the disk drive made strange noises.
> > > So I found another old SCSI drive and began an install. First problem was
> > > that the Sarge net-install would not work. It died just after finding the
> > > CD (which is SCSI).
> >
> > The sarge installer should support scsi cdroms fine. "it died" is not
> > much to go on to help you.
> >
> > --
> > see shy jo
>
> Now I've downloaded the latest version of net-install and tried it. I still have
> the same symptoms. No welcome screen, and no error message, just no action.
>
> I did look into making a boot floppy containing sbm, but I am failing to understand
> the instructions. The boot floppy that I make has a directory full of garbage
> file names, and doesn't seem to do anything useful. I get screen that purports to
> allow me to choose a kernel image to load, but the list to choose from is empty.

I ran out of ideas on how to install Sarge directly. I installed Woody and upgraded
Woody from the 'oldstable' repository. Then it was possible to dist-upgrade to Sarge,
but only after I installed a 2.4.xx kernel. When I got to Sarge, I chose to install
2.4.27 kernel. So it was a multistep process. I wonder what I will do if I have
another crisis on this box 3 or 4 yrs from now when etch becomes stable and sarge
becomes oldstable. Will woody become oldoldstable? I hope so.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net