Need help with re-install on a old SCSI Debian box

I have an old computer which I have been using as a print/file server.
This afternoon there was an abrupt power outage. When the power returned
this old computer would not boot up. Instead, the disk drive made strange noises.
So I found another old SCSI drive and began an install. First problem was
that the Sarge net-install would not work. It died just after finding the
CD (which is SCSI). I remembered that when I insalled Woody, I had to use
the _second_ CD for the initial boot because it had some magic changes that
worked for this old computer. So I tried that and got a version of Woody
installed on the replacement HD. But...

I want to put Sarge on the machine. (It was running Sarge before it died.)
When I try to dist-upgrade, I an confronted with error messages that seem
to say that the old apt-get cannot read the Package or Release files from
stable at http.us.debian.org . (Maybe Woody was around so long that early
releases are incompatible with later releases.) Where is the repository
of Woody? Would it help? Or am I just confused?

I think that what I would really like is to figure a way to boot into a
proper Sarge net/install. But I haven't noticed any SCSI option on the
net/install. Is there one? How do I invoke it? And maybe the difference
between the first and second CDs of the Woody set has to do with something
other than SCSI, but its hard to research now. But whatever it was/is, it
made the difference on this old computer. Where is the same thing in
Sarge net/install?

TIA

--
Paul E Condon