recover files after mkdosfs

oops... i did what I'm sure everyone warns against...

I'd backed up all my movies/music on /dev/hdb3 and created /dev/hdb7, and sure enough, I mistakenly pointed mkdosfs at /dev/hdb3 instead of the newly created partition.

any thoughts or suggestions on how I can find/recover some of the files that were on /dev/hdb3 ???

I guess its not so much that the drive is reformatted, but i just rewrote the file allocation table... damn! so is there any tool that can go throgh the drive and search out pre-existing files/folders?

any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Joubin