Re: udev or no udev, I am confused

phyrster wrote:
> Out of a rackless upgrade, 'df' command shows the following line:
> |/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2  ext3    8.0G  4.1G  3.6G  53% /
> instead of /dev/hda2.
> I think I deleted some packages but I can't trace back.
> My question is:
> will udev change the situation?
> (I am using kernel 2.6.12, what other requirements do I need?)
> there is also a package devfsd, what's the difference between it and udev?
> what is the default package/configuration what makes 'df' show device names
> like /dev/hda2 ?
Udev is a replacement for devfs...udev is a user space tool, instead
devfs is a part of the kernel.
I prefer to use udev, but sometimes it's difficult to write the rules
in the configuration file (man udev(8))
To see if you have it installed, you could use dpkg:

#dpkg -l | grep udev

What you see for /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2, it's just
another way to say the same thing, hda2.
If you use udev, you can change it to show that way or the old way (hdxx).
About devfs, i don't use it since a lot, so i don't remember :-P

Pier
--
Un uomo saggio impara dall' esperienza. Un uomo ancora più saggio
impara dall'esperienza degli altri