Re: recover files after mkdosfs

Am 29.07.2005 um 00:08 schrieb Joubin Moshrefzadeh:
> oops... i did what I'm sure everyone warns against...
>
> I'd backed up all my movies/music on /dev/hdb3 and created /dev/hdb7, and
> sure enough, I mistakenly pointed mkdosfs at /dev/hdb3 instead of the newly
> created partition.
>
> any thoughts or suggestions on how I can find/recover some of the files that
> were on /dev/hdb3 ???
>
> I guess its not so much that the drive is reformatted, but i just rewrote
> the file allocation table... damn! so is there any tool that can go throgh
> the drive and search out pre-existing files/folders?

What file system has been there before?  If it is ext2/3 you have
chances to recover a good part of your data.  I do not know about
reiserfs/xfs.

Leave the original partition alone.  Do not write to it, if you want
more than one try!  Copy the partition's contents into a file on
another partition blockwise, then run e2fsck on that image file.

You may need to specify an alternative superblock with the -b
option.  When e2fsck thinks, that the filesystem is consistent,
mount the image file with "-t ext2 -o loop".  If you're lucky,
you'll end up with a lot of files and directories in "lost+found".

Good Luck, and think about a good backup strategy soon!
Dennis

--
Send personal mail to dennis@... only.  Off-list
mails to lists@stosberg.net will not reach me.