udev or no udev, I am confused

Hi Debianers,

Out of a rackless upgrade, 'df' command shows the following line:

|/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2  ext3    8.0G  4.1G  3.6G  53% /

instead of /dev/hda2.

I think I deleted some packages but I can't trace back.

My question is:
will udev change the situation?
(I am using kernel 2.6.12, what other requirements do I need?)

there is also a package devfsd, what's the difference between it and udev?

what is the default package/configuration what makes 'df' show device names
like /dev/hda2 ?

regards

bxuef

--
dhammapada says:

  But the supreme blight, ignorance, is the blight of blights. Destroying
  this blight, be free of blights, bhikkhus. 243