Re: Sharing the internet connection with XP

On 7/27/05, Björn Johansson <bjorn.johansson@4a-consulting.com> wrote:
> At 00:03 2005-07-27, you wrote:
> >On 7/26/05, Björn Johansson <bjorn.johansson@4a-consulting.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I can't afford to buy a router right now, so that's out of the question.
> > > I have made progress! Now I can transfer files
> > > through ftp from the pc to mac at the
> > > same time as the pc has access to the internet.
> > >
> > > To make the mac share the internet through
> > the pc, to make that work, people
> > > have told me that I should use the pc as a gateway. So perhaps I need to
> > > create an static ip for gateway on the pc and
> > then I tell the mac to use that
> > > gateway address in the network.
> > >

> >What IP does the network card in the PC have now?
>
> 192.168.0.1
> and netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> > From your previous mail I see that the Mac is on 192.168.0.246 with
> >netmask 255.255.255.0. Since you can already "talk" to the PC, that
> >means the PC's card is on 192.168.0.???. That is the IP you want to
> >set as the gateway on your Mac! To test this, use "route":
> >
> >route add default gw 192.168.0.??? dev eth0
> >
> >Now you should be able to reach the Internet... try:
> >
> >ping 194.109.137.218
> >
> >which is www.debian.org.
> >
> >If it doesn't work, check the connection sharing options in Windows XP.
> >
> >Once this basic connection works, you can set it all up proper in
> >/etc/network/interfaces.
> >
> >cheers,
> >Christian
>
> I don't understand how the Mac can use the internet connection on the PC
> when there's another network card in the PC which is connected to the
> ethernet modem? Maybe I don't haveto understand? :-/

You want the PC to act as your gateway/router for your local network,
and your local network knows your PC as 192.168.0.1

Packets from the local network arrive at 192.168.0.1 and then Windows
acts as a router
and figures out where they are supposed to go. If they go to an
internet address, it sends
them out to your modem.

> I understand that by using the PC:s IP as a gateway to the Mac, they should
> be able to use the same internet connection, but it still don't work!
> When I ping: www.debian.org as example I get the IP address but the
> system reports 100% packet loss, so it's not working, yet...
> Of course I also tried your ip numbers and I got the same result.
> (100% packet loss.)

This seems strange, because DNS lookup seems to work already... please
send me the contents of /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/resolv.conf and the
output when you run "route" without any parameters.

> Perhaps I should have excluded "dev" in the command line.

It shouldn't be the cause of your problem.

> Hmm... It should not be so hard to get this working!! Right?

Normally not ;-)

cheers,
Christian