Re: OT - DSL routers -

Doofus writes:
> Well, I didn't understand John's closing sentence at all and still don't,
> unless the reference to upgrading linux to debian was tongue-in-cheek
> humour.

Some appliance routers run customized versions of Linux (usually on an ARM
cpu).  I was suggesting upgrading such things to Debian.

> He seems to be saying "put the router you've shelled out for into zero-IP
> bridge mode...

I was suggesting doing that with modem/firewall combinations such as the
Netopia I have here (supplied by CenturyTel).  Its "firewall" crashes when
poked with nmap.

> Admiration for your personally preferred hardware/OS/software is one
> thing (isn't this one of the joys of open source?). Downright blind
> obsession and weird ideas about political correctness in these matters is
> quite another.

Politics has nothing to do with it.  The fact is that the closed-source
software in consumer-grade products is crap more often than not.
--
John Hasler