Re: used dd_rescue to image a partition of failing harddrive-unable to mount badpartition.img using -o loop

2005/7/23, tripolar <tripolar@comcast.net>:
> Hello
> I have a failing harddrive so I did #dd_rhelp /dev/hdc7
> /mnt/hdb1/120part7_rescue.img
> I saved that image ( 72G ) on a new hardrive
> /mnt/hdb1/120part7_rescue.img I then pulled out the failing harddrive
> and replaced it with a new harddrive /mnt/hdc . I have tried to follow
> these directions " Then run fsck on the image you have created, mount it
> loopback (|mount -o loop /mnt/hdb1/hda1_rescue.img /mnt/hda1 | in my
> case) and then browse through it and recover the files you need. "
> located at http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/wlg/5205
> First I am unable to run any kind of fsck on the .img . I think the
> original parttition was reiserfs.
> Then I went on to try "mount -o loop 120part7_rescue.img /mnt/hdc1/" I
> get "Unknown error 990"
> "mount -o loop -t reiserfs 120part7_rescue.img /mnt/hdc1/" and get this
> error
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0"
> Anyone with ideas of what I am doing wrong Please help me out.
> Thanks!!

Hi,
I think you dont need to make a fsck in the image, it is useless. You
want to rescue your important data from that image. First of all, did
you have partitions in that hd ? Or only / ? In case you had more
partitions, you need to make an image from each partition. Maybe only
for /home, if there were all the data you need to backup. You dont
need to backup the binaries or config files or /dev, etc (in case you
dont want to make a forensic analysis).

I havent used dd_rhelp, but maybe is similar to dd. For each of the
partitions you have to:

dd if=/*source* of=/*destination*
where:
if = infile, or evidence you are copying (a hard disk, tape, etc.)
source = source of evidence
of = outfile, or copy of evidence
destination = where you want to put the copy

Then you should be able to mount it. I see that you copied the image
in a "new" harddrive, does this hd have already a filesystem ? If yes,
you should mount it. First you must mount the harddrive and then mount
the image in a mountpoint.

# mount -o ro,loop,nodev,noexec,noatime /mnt/hdb1/hda1_rescue.img /mnt/hda1

--
"Meine Hoffnung soll mich leiten
Durch die Tage ohne Dich