Re: Repost: used dd_rescue to image a partition of failing harddrive-unable to mount badpartition.img using -o loop

The "Unknown error 990" message seems to relate to xfs.
Usually the people seem to have success by using xfs_repair since the
error can come from a corrupt xfs.
If your old HD is still readable somehow and you spent lots of time with
this xfs problem think about using tar to get the data on the new disc.

hth
	nosy