Re: OT: In defence of ``newbie-picking''

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 23:06 -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Carl Fink wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 04:35:50AM +0200, Anders Breindahl wrote:
[snip]
> >and Microsoft's reaction was to announce that the next version of MS Office
> >will use the same zipped-XML format that OO uses.
> >

> Again, I'm probably wrong, but my understanding is that MS is planning
> on using XML, but since XML is not a file format _per se_, but rather a
> "format that describes a format", MS's use of XML does not guarantee
> third-party readability. I especially doubt that MS has chosen to use
> the same format as that used by OOo. If you can offer a link, I'd be
> interested in reading about this; it could be a very interesting thing.

KW is correct.

Especially galling is that it will be "'encrypted' binary within
XML" and covered by the DMCA.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who tells you differently is
selling something."
William Goldman, The Princess Bride