Re: OT: In defence of ``newbie-picking'' (was:Re: MS Project 2003)

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 04:35:50AM +0200, Anders Breindahl wrote:

> I am also sorry to announce, that I am one of those, who will be ``jumping
> down peoples' throats'' in the case of not keeping to the net-etiquette.

Stop it.

I've done that, but I've always regretted it.  Correct people, fine, but
that's different from jumping down their throats.

> I am also convinced, that no one would want to run a Windows-only IDE on a
> GNU/Linux machine -- and I therefore assumed that Rajiv only wanted to do the
> ``extracting information''-part, and therefore could cope with `less`.

Project isn't an IDE.

> Not that I have the ability to command such development forces -- but wouldn't
> creating a Microsoft-compatible program be a misallocation of Free Software
> development ressources?
> The trouble about .doc seems to prove that to me: The more we want a a
> FS-alternative to a Microsoft program, the harder they will make it to
> develop?

Interesting, but counterfactual.  OpenOffice has solved the .doc problem,
and Microsoft's reaction was to announce that the next version of MS Office
will use the same zipped-XML format that OO uses.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.