Re: Why not a Desktop on a GNU/Linux Server

Hi Michael,

michael@etalon.net wrote :
> Quoting Martin Mewes <mm@mewes.tv>:
> > If you want to give your colleagues access to the system you may
> > use Webmin and let them administer some selected things over the
> > webbrowser.
>
> I agree,
> If your running a gui, then is your plan to give out the root
> password? or give them system accounts and grant rights? (not sure
> how this would work)

You could try to give users a normal account and let them run admin
things against sudo perhaps. You could setup sudo for these users in
the way that they need to give the user password instead of the root
password in order to get more rights. I know how to do this on the
commadnline, but I am not sure how this works on a desktop like KDE or
GNOME.

> With webmin, you are root and no one else, but
> you can create admin accounts that have certain rights to certain
> areas. And, they can access from their workstation via their browser.

In fact this is a bit of such a sudo-environment.

bis dahin/kind regards

Martin Mewes

--
Webmin Translation Team -> http://webmin.mamemu.de/