Re: Sound is clipping - alsamixer isn't working

On Thursday 21 July 2005 17:27, Lars Stokholm wrote:
> Installing ALSA (alsa-base and alsa-utils) broke the sound on Debian
> too. I did it because MPD sounded like the sound was played from within
> a tin can, or something. XMMS is clipping on OSS and ALSA. Before
> installing ALSA, only OSS was working, but it wasn't clipping.

Do I get it correct: OSS works flawlessly under Debian, while installing ALSA
breaks sound?
If that is the case, you've got a remedy there.

> > Actually, I'd like to see the output of `lsmod`, too.
>
> $ lsmod | grep snd
> snd_intel8x0           36460  2
> snd_ac97_codec         69988  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_pcm_oss            55080  0
> snd_mixer_oss          20096  3 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                98728  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              25732  1 snd_pcm
> snd_page_alloc         11752  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
> gameport                4704  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_mpu401_uart         7968  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_rawmidi            25124  1 snd_mpu401_uart
> snd_seq_device          8200  1 snd_rawmidi
> snd                    57156  9
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd
>_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device soundcore              10336  3 snd

> > If you enabled the OSS mixer API in the kernel -- could an
> > OSS-mixer-application control the hardware, then?
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't know what you are talking about.

In Linux' menuconfig:
OSS Mixer API
  x To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module           x
  x will be called snd-mixer-oss.                                           x
  x                                                                         x
  x Symbol: SND_MIXER_OSS [=y]                                              x
  x Prompt: OSS Mixer API                                                   x
  x   Defined at sound/core/Kconfig:49                                      x
  x   Depends on: !M68K && SOUND!=n && SND                                  x
  x   Location:                                                             x
  x     -> Device Drivers                                                   x
  x       -> Sound                                                          x
  x         -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture                            x
  x           -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (SND [=y])               x
  x   Selects: SND_OSSEMUL                                                  x

More or less, if you compile your own Linux'es, this enables you to use ALSA
without using ALSA-aware mixers.
If this API emulation enabled you to change mixer volumes, the problem you
have was limited to the ALSA mixer API (and the driver itself could be good
enough).

You could try it out. I really am running low on advises, though.
Regards, Anders Breindahl.