Re: Sound is clipping - alsamixer isn't working

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 08:02, Lars Stokholm wrote:
>  On 2005-07-19, Anders Breindahl <skrewz@skrewz.dk> wrote:
>  > Version of Linux.
>
>  2.6.10-5-386 (default in Ubuntu 5.04 - Hoary). I've tried 2.6.12-3-686
>  also, but it didn't make things better.
>
>  > Relevant hardware-specifications.
>
>  Information from alsamixer:
>    Card: Intel ICH5
>    Chip: C-Media Electronics CM9761
>
>  Motherboard: MSI MS-7012
>
>  CPU: Pentium IV 3GHz (hyperthreading disabled in BIOS)
>
>  If you need more specifications, let me know.
>
>  > Interesting output of various system logs
>
>  I'm very new to Linux, it's been less than a week, so I'm sorry to

I suppose you're talking about the operating system ``GNU/Linux''.

>  say that I don't know any system logs yet. Do you have any request?

The related stuff of the output from `dmesg`.
Actually, I'd like to see the output of `lsmod`, too.

>  > and any unusual output of media applications
>
>  I don't think there are any.
>
>  > If I may venture an arrogant guess: You come from Windows, where maximum
>  > in the mixer settings does not correspond to maximum on the hardware --
>  > and have therefore turned PCM to 100%, by habit...?
>
>  You're right, but I didn't turn anything up in Linux, and I can't turn
>  it down, using for example alsamixer - it doesn't work.

Oh, o.k. I don't know how the Ubuntu team looks at default volumes. However, I
am not an expert in this field, so I can't put my finger on the problem
you're having.
I have some tests for debugging, you could try, though.

Does the card work in any other distributions?
If you enabled the OSS mixer API in the kernel -- could an
OSS-mixer-application control the hardware, then?
Have you STFW'ed on terms as ``alsa can't control mixer'' and ``alsa ich5
mixer''?

Regards, Anders Breindahl.