Sound is clipping - alsamixer isn't working

I have two problems on Ubuntu (and Knoppix aswell), they are hopefully
related:

The first problem is that the sound is clipping (it makes a scratchy
sound on places in music where the volume is high).

I've tried different music players, different file formats, different
output methods. They all yield the same result.

For testing I now use XMMS, playing a wave file on a completely new
install of Ubuntu; the only modification is the installation of XMMS.

The second problem is that alsamixer isn't working. I can push the
sliders all I wan't - nothing happens. And it isn't just alsamixer,
the slider in the Gnome-panel isn't working either, and nor is the
volume control in Music Player Daemon e.g.

What is the problem?