Re: Sound is clipping - alsamixer isn't working

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 00:25, Lars Stokholm wrote:
 > I have two problems on Ubuntu (and Knoppix aswell), they are hopefully
 > related:
 >
 > The first problem is that the sound is clipping (it makes a scratchy
 > sound on places in music where the volume is high).
 >
 > I've tried different music players, different file formats, different
 > output methods. They all yield the same result.
 >
 > For testing I now use XMMS, playing a wave file on a completely new
 > install of Ubuntu; the only modification is the installation of XMMS.
 >
 > The second problem is that alsamixer isn't working. I can push the
 > sliders all I wan't - nothing happens. And it isn't just alsamixer,
 > the slider in the Gnome-panel isn't working either, and nor is the
 > volume control in Music Player Daemon e.g.
 >
 > What is the problem?

In this aspect, it is terribly relevant to supply further information. I
suggest:
Version of Linux.
Relevant hardware-specifications.
Interesting output of various system logs, and any unusual output of media
applications

However, if you're able to get any mixer working, you might be suffering from
the PCM-channel being turned too high up.
If I may venture an arrogant guess: You come from Windows, where maximum in
the mixer settings does not correspond to maximum on the hardware -- and have
therefore turned PCM to 100%, by habit...?

Regards, Anders Breindahl.