Re: Sound is clipping - alsamixer isn't working

On 2005-07-19, Anders Breindahl <skrewz@skrewz.dk> wrote:
> Version of Linux.

2.6.10-5-386 (default in Ubuntu 5.04 - Hoary). I've tried 2.6.12-3-686
also, but it didn't make things better.

> Relevant hardware-specifications.

Information from alsamixer:
  Card: Intel ICH5
  Chip: C-Media Electronics CM9761

Motherboard: MSI MS-7012

CPU: Pentium IV 3GHz (hyperthreading disabled in BIOS)

If you need more specifications, let me know.

> Interesting output of various system logs

I'm very new to Linux, it's been less than a week, so I'm sorry to
say that I don't know any system logs yet. Do you have any request?

> and any unusual output of media applications

I don't think there are any.

> If I may venture an arrogant guess: You come from Windows, where maximum in
> the mixer settings does not correspond to maximum on the hardware -- and have
> therefore turned PCM to 100%, by habit...?

You're right, but I didn't turn anything up in Linux, and I can't turn
it down, using for example alsamixer - it doesn't work.