Re: [BackupPC-users] Re: OT: Archives nearly useless? (Google doing evil?)

Marty wrote:
> Steve Lamb wrote:
>>> No, it's just some recent change that google made.

>>     So you claim.  And your proof is... what?

> See my answer above.

    What you gave was not proof.  It was supposition based on your
observations on a *dynamic system*.  IE, the same term used today is not in
any way guarenteed to return the same hits tomorrow.  This is because the data
within the system is always changing thanks to them updating their indexes by
constantly using bots to refresh from current pages.  *This* *is* *normal*.

> I just believe that people should be able to search the web including all
> the various technical list archives as they could before

    And it is violated now... how?  Proof.  Not tin-foil hat observations from
*one lone person*.  I mean strictly speaking the following shouldn't be
possible with your "proof".  I just did a search for "debian sata dvd burner".
 Here's the link:
http://www.google.com/search?hs=gzk&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&q=debian+sata+dvd+burner&btnG=Search

    Here's the first two hits:
Re: nforce4, Harddisk SATA, DVD-Burner ATAPI: How can I keep ide ...
Re: nforce4, Harddisk SATA, DVD-Burner ATAPI: How can I keep ide-scsi from
... Debian makes ide-scsi a module. If you built your own, you might not ...
lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/05/msg00553.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

    Re: [(Partial) SOLUTION] nforce4, Harddisk SATA, DVD-Burner ATAPI ...
    To: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org; Subject: Re: [(Partial) SOLUTION] ... Re:
    nforce4, Harddisk SATA, DVD-Burner ATAPI: How can I keep ide-scsi from
    lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/05/msg00713.html - 8k - Cached -
Similar pages
    [ More results from lists.debian.org ]

    lists.debian.org.

> without jumping
> through any arbitrary hoops or having to worry about what's the next
> category of public information to be made semi-accessable by unaccountable
> persons with unknown motives.  Those who don't believe in concepts like
> "public interest" will obviously not agree and in any case this list is not
> the place for a debate.

    The list wasn't the place for your soapbox in the first place but that
certainly didn't stop you.  The list is a good place to refute your wild
notions because at least then it would be in the very same archive that you
claim is obsfucated.

> It's a real technical problem for me and I thought people here might have
> some answers.  I have already gotten some useful replies for which I am
> grateful.

    Actually, now that I think about it, *if* such a change were made it would
be a good thing, IMHO.  Why?  Because have you ever searched for something
which had keywords that coincided with a mailing list, get hundreds or
thousands of hits from said mailing lists and exactly *zero* of what you
wanted?  Of course the solution there is exactly inverse of the solution to
your problem.... enter an exclude for that site into the search parameters.