Re: [BackupPC-users] Re: OT: Archives nearly useless? (Google doing evil?)

Marty wrote:
> Steve Lamb wrote:
>>     The public has no interest.

> But google shareholders do?  I hope that's not what you mean.

    Nope.  Simply pointing out that "the public" is an entity which in and of
itself has no interests.  "The public" is a collection of individuals, each of
whom have thier own interests.  To say "the public" has interests is to deny
individuals of their identity.  Bad concept all around.

> The public just happen to be the authors of all the messages on
> such lists.  I don't know why you think they have no interest
> in their own archives.

    If they have such an interest they can form their own archives and not
rely upon others to do it for them.

> Different issue.  I am describing what google seems to be doing with
> all lists archives and list archive availability, not how or whether
> it complies with robots.txt files.

    And what you (or the original poster if not you) described is a side
effect of robots.txt.  As others have pointed out you can find Debian mail
quite easily enough.  Don't blame the tool (Google) for your lack of
understanding on how to use it effectively, get up on a soapbox about it
preaching to those who do know how to use it effectively, then have the
audacity to get upset when said people don't instantly rally to your misguided
cause.