Re: to not read spam emails on debian MLs

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:48:59 -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:41:35PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> } On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 20:15 -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> [...]
> } But then you'll be replying from a different address than the
> } email was sent to.
> }
> } Most ISPs don't like that anymore, and SpamAssassin (and probably
> } Baysians also) score it as possible spam.
>
> I don't think you know what you're talking about. First of all, I don't
> know of a single spam filter (with the possible but unlikely exception of
> GMail) that is sufficiently stateful that it will notice that the message
> with the ID in the In-Reply-To field was originally sent to an email
> address other than the one in the From field. Second, if it could, it would
> break every single mailing list reply since the From field *never* matches
> the list email address to which the original was sent. And third, in actual
> practice, I have never had trouble sending messages which claim to be from
> a wide variety of email addresses often having nothing to do with the
> machine from which I was sending. (A series of reflectors and
> forwards would get messages sent to those addresses back to the machine in
> question, but that isn't something that a spam filter can test.)
>
> In short, I think you're speaking from a position of no knowledge on the
> subject whatsoever.
>
> } Ron Johnson, Jr.
> --Greg

Holy cow man, your reply STINKS...

There's absolutely no need to be so rude.  If he's wrong, fine, but no
need to tell him (in so many words) that he's stupid.

This is the sorta crap FUD Mongers love to see...  They can use it to
justify their view that 'linux is for geeks and newbies get treated like
dirt'

I hope the next time you reply to correct someone, you do it in a more
gentle way...  You can wrap their knuckles with a ruler but damn dude, you
don't need to wack them in the head with a ball bat..