Re: to not read spam emails on debian MLs

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:41:35PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
} On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 20:15 -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
[...]
} But then you'll be replying from a different address than the
} email was sent to.
}
} Most ISPs don't like that anymore, and SpamAssassin (and probably
} Baysians also) score it as possible spam.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. First of all, I don't
know of a single spam filter (with the possible but unlikely exception of
GMail) that is sufficiently stateful that it will notice that the message
with the ID in the In-Reply-To field was originally sent to an email
address other than the one in the From field. Second, if it could, it would
break every single mailing list reply since the From field *never* matches
the list email address to which the original was sent. And third, in actual
practice, I have never had trouble sending messages which claim to be from
a wide variety of email addresses often having nothing to do with the
machine from which I was sending. (A series of reflectors and
forwards would get messages sent to those addresses back to the machine in
question, but that isn't something that a spam filter can test.)

In short, I think you're speaking from a position of no knowledge on the
subject whatsoever.

} Ron Johnson, Jr.
--Greg