Re: Wmaker Nautilus (in only one window)?

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

While many mail clients will accomodate unwrapped text:

  - Some don't.  Be considerate.

  - Many more fail to wrap and attribute quotes properly.

  - Many web-based list archives render unwrapped text as very long
    lines, e.g.:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200309/msg00568.html

Thank you.

on Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 12:40:01AM -0500, Lance Hoffmeyer (lance@augustmail.com) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use windowmaker as my default window manager.  I came across
> nautilus today as a file management system.  If I start nautilus it
> overlays in all of my windowmaker windows (1-7).

Note that there is a bug filed on this, though it's been marked
"wontfix" either by the DD or upstream (not sure which).

Nautilus *should* detect the context in which it's been invoked, and not
provide windowmanager functionality unless it is running under an
appropriate envirionment (presumably GNOME or metacity).  This is as
inappropriate as an application attempting to access an X display in the
absense of a set $DISPLAY variable.

Yes, there is a command-line option to override the behavior, but the
user cannot (and should not) be expected to know of this and supply it
themselves.  Particularly as nautilus is invoked by default from several
applications (Mozilla / Firefox IIRC), and conflicts with WindowMaker
functionality there as well.

Peace.

    Flexibility / and a sense of humour are / key survival traits.
    - Haiku flexibility