pygtk version mixup driving me nuts to say the least!!

I'm tired of 'f'ing around with this STUPID pkgconfig carp.
YUP, I'm upset...  Been going round and round with this all damn day.
The following error is what I get when I run hal-device-manager..

** ERROR **: PyGTK (2, 6, 0) required, but (2, 4, 1) found.
aborting...
Aborted

But..  cat /usr/lib/pkgconfig/pygtk-2.0.pc says..
<snip>
Name: PyGTK
Requires: pygobject-2.0
Version: 2.6.1
Cflags: -I${pygtkincludedir}
<snip>

I've purged the pkgs (python-gtk*) and reinstalled about 4 times now..
also run ldconfig as root after the install just to make sure it's links are set..

Contents of ld.so.config ...

  /usr/X11R6/lib
  /usr/lib
  /usr/local/lib
  /opt/lib

Sorry, but I don't have time for this...  What the 'f' is going on?

Any help, PLS!! :-(

mike..
houston, tx