Re: Captiva USB MP3 Player support?

On 7/16/05, wim <wimpunk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dom wrote:
> > I've searched and searchd for the module for this device without
> > success. But I wouldn't have searched if the next thing hadn't
> > happened...
> >
> > I was able to mount the usb drive easily in root, but when my brother
> > tried to use it in his account we discovered only root can mount a
> > device.
> >
> > Is there any way I can secure access to this device from accounts
> > other than root?
> >
> > And yes, giving my brother the root password is a no no.
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Dom
>
> You can use "sudo" of put a "user" option in /etc/fstab or mount the
> device with "uid" option.
>
> wim.
>

> --

OK, here's how my fstab fiel looks like but I still can't mount from
any non-root user account (I get the message: "mount: only root can do
that")

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda2       /localdisk      ext3    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom1   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/sda        /media/usb0     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

Sorry if it's something obvious, but as a new user of Linux I can't
see why "user" option won't work here.
Oh, one more thing to mention is (I thought this is understandable)
that this USB device is not plugged in at the boot - or does it have
to be (but I tried it and even when it is plugged in while the PC
boots the same thing happens)?

Thanks,
Dom