Re: System needs repair after fsck

Uwe Dippel wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:04:43 -0400, Marty wrote:

A likely fix is to purge and reinstall the affected python packages.

How !?!
The circular effect sets in.
Somehow I must consider this a bug in the whole concept of Debian !?

By running dpkg manually, i.e: "dpkg -P <pkgname>"

Alternatively it may be possible to just comment out this line for
now just to get debsums installed.  Hopefully somebody else will
give more specific advice, but I think you are close to the solution.

I can think of something easier, but I'd need an apt expert:
It has *somewhere* stored that it wants to upgrade / reinstall several
packages; one of them debconf.
Since debconf seems to be quite okay - from all what I have been doing -
chances are, if I can remove it from the 'stack' of apps to be
(re-)installed, the whole thing will work:

I don't know if that would be good thing to do, since you have to assume
that there is a good reason for debconf dependence on precompiled python
libraries.  But that's probably the same risk you take by commenting that
line out of the posinst script.

<snip>

^^^^^^this 'bloody' debconf messes up the whole shebang !:
<snip>
^^^^^^ it *thinks * it isn't configured, but its conf-files are okay!

Once again, I don't think it's safe to assume debconf is configured, or
at least safe to use, if its dependencies are not met.

<snip?

It is here where I want to know about the file storing these 5 packages.
How could I trick apt-get into forgetting them, and just do a Python
reinstall ? Or anything else, except debconf ?
And debconf at the very end only ?

Again, the problem is probably somewhere in a python package that got
corrupted.  That probably should be the main focus.

Uwe