Re: System needs repair after fsck

Uwe Dippel wrote:

I cannot; meaning that ? what ? Is python broken ?
If yes, how to reinstall it without using apt / dpkg (which cannot be
used, because debconf is broken - the circular effect ! ) ??

FWIW I found where dpkg is calling the python scripts:

# find /var/lib/dpkg/info/ |xargs grep '\.py' |grep -v python
[....]
/var/lib/dpkg/info/debconf.postinst:if which $PYTHON >/dev/null 2>&1 && [ -e /usr/lib/$PYTHON/compileall.py ]; then
/var/lib/dpkg/info/debconf.postinst:		$PYTHON -O /usr/lib/$PYTHON/compileall.py -q $i
/var/lib/dpkg/info/debconf.postinst:		$PYTHON /usr/lib/$PYTHON/compileall.py -q $i
/var/lib/dpkg/info/debconf.prerm:	awk '$0~/\.py$/ {print $0"c\n" $0"o"}' |

What I think may be happening here (just guessing) is that python is being
called to precompile its bytecode libraries.  It seems likely that this
process was interupted  and left some corrupted files lying about.

A likely fix is to purge and reinstall the affected python packages.
Alternatively it may be possible to just comment out this line for
now just to get debsums installed.  Hopefully somebody else will
give more specific advice, but I think you are close to the solution.