Re: System needs repair after fsck

Uwe Dippel wrote:
> Overall, this is less than satisfactory; there are surely more problems,
> and I would be disappointed if apt / dpkg could not check the integrity of
> their respective packages; and worse: missed any 'repair'.

Have you tried "debsums -s" ?  It is unfortunate that not all packages
contain the required md5sums, but still, debsums is a very useful tool
and will ease your worries considerably. It is able to generate md5sums
if the debs are available - simple instructions how to do this are in the
manpage.

Some time back, short.circuit.com suffered filesystem damage to the dpkg
directory and it was stuck in Bo or Rex (I don't recall exactly) for a
number of years. Eventually I got the gumption up to make a list of the
package names found in /var/lib/dpkg/info, sort|uniq'd them, --reinstall,
and successfully dist-upgraded one step at a time to Woody. Every once
in a while an old libc4 binary would surface but overall the packaging
system proved out extremely well.

Which reminds me - I should also refer you to "cruft" ... Cruft will
search your filesystem for things not found in the dpkg database. It too,
is very useful for repairing a system although not as apparent as
debsums. Use it to polish a repair as a last step.