Re: System needs repair after fsck

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:04:43 -0400, Marty wrote:

> A likely fix is to purge and reinstall the affected python packages.

How !?!
The circular effect sets in.
Somehow I must consider this a bug in the whole concept of Debian !?

> Alternatively it may be possible to just comment out this line for
> now just to get debsums installed.  Hopefully somebody else will
> give more specific advice, but I think you are close to the solution.

I can think of something easier, but I'd need an apt expert:
It has *somewhere* stored that it wants to upgrade / reinstall several
packages; one of them debconf.
Since debconf seems to be quite okay - from all what I have been doing -
chances are, if I can remove it from the 'stack' of apps to be
(re-)installed, the whole thing will work:

# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
5 not fully installed or removed.
^^^^^^
if I could get rid of this, and simply start from scratch, I might be done
!

Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to
continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up debconf (1.4.30.13) ...

^^^^^^this 'bloody' debconf messes up the whole shebang !:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/compileall.py", line 156, in ?
    exit_status = not main()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/compileall.py", line 146, in main
    force, rx, quiet):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/compileall.py", line 83, in compile_dir
    if not compile_dir(fullname, maxlevels - 1, dfile, force, rx, quiet):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/compileall.py", line 83, in compile_dir
    if not compile_dir(fullname, maxlevels - 1, dfile, force, rx, quiet):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/compileall.py", line 83, in compile_dir
    if not compile_dir(fullname, maxlevels - 1, dfile, force, rx, quiet):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/compileall.py", line 68, in compile_dir
    except py_compile.PyCompileError,err:
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'PyCompileError' dpkg:
error processing debconf (--configure):

^^^^^^ it *thinks * it isn't configured, but its conf-files are okay!

 subprocess
post-installation script returned error exit status 1 dpkg: dependency
problems prevent configuration of debconf-utils:
 debconf-utils depends on debconf (>= 1.3.20); however:
  Package debconf is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing debconf-utils (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of debhelper:
 debhelper depends on debconf-utils (>= 1.1.1); however:
  Package debconf-utils is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing debhelper (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of alien:
 alien depends on debhelper (>= 3); however:
  Package debhelper is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing alien (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of debsums:
 debsums depends on debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0; however:
  Package debconf is not configured yet. Package debconf-2.0 is not
  installed. Package debconf which provides debconf-2.0 is not configured
  yet.
dpkg: error processing debsums (--configure):
 debconf
 debconf-utils
 debhelper
 alien
 debsums

It is here where I want to know about the file storing these 5 packages.
How could I trick apt-get into forgetting them, and just do a Python
reinstall ? Or anything else, except debconf ?
And debconf at the very end only ?

Uwe