RE: SBC DSL Service

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> I was contacted by SBC(telephone service) about DSL service which I
> want.

Have you read the Dilbert comic strip?  SBC is evil.  You will be tormented for
a year (two?) if you sign SBC's contract.

Did you know that you don't have to buy SBC DSL through SBC?  The government has
forced SBC to allow other ISP's to resell SBC DSL service.  I discovered this by
chance when shopping around for high-speed Internet connectivity.  I use a
small, privately-owned, GNU/Linux-savvy reseller in Santa Rosa:

    http://www.sonic.net/

I have the plan with 4 static IP's and an Ethernet modem ($60/month).  It gives
me a raw, reliable, 24/7 presence on the Internet.  sonic.net rocks!  :-)

David

p.s.  If you have an older x86 computer to spare, turn it into a
      GNU/Linux firewall:

          http://www.ipcop.org/

      The power of a raw Internet connection comes with risks and
      responsibilities.