Re: SBC DSL Service

Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

I was contacted by SBC(telephone service) about DSL service which I want. [...]
If there is anyone using this
service via SBC, I would certainly appreciate hearing from you. Appreciate any replys.

Leonard Chatagnier

I've been using SBC DSL for about a year. I did run the SBC CD on Windows, because I didn't have Debian installed yet. The CD has an automated configuration program, then a bunch of other stuff -- like a specialize IE browser and some "diagnostic" software -- which are completely unnecessary.

The config process (under Windows) had some sort of glitch, and I remember it appearing to freeze... until I made one little change that caused the thing to finish installing correctly.

As it turns out, all you really need is to get your user name and password registered. SBC provides a web page for you to do it, which is (in their view) only for use by technicians. You can find some detailed instructions at broadbandreports.com:

  http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/amfaq/
    1.3%20Establishing%20moving%20&%20upgrading%20DSL

(That's all one link.) This will get your connection working even if you don't have Windows on your machine. If you want to just use the CD they send you, you'll have to set up your machine to multiboot with Windows.

Once the connection is working, Debian will be able to use it. If you already have a working Debian system, I'm not exactly sure what configuration changes you should make, but there's plenty of very knowledgeable people here who do know. (There probably a script or two that will perform an autodetection for you -- I didn't have to deal with this issue because I installed Debian with my SBC connection already working.)

HTH,
Dave W.