Re: SBC DSL Service

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:44:56 -0500
Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:42:00 -0500
> Debian User Leonard Chatagnier <lenc@ruralcomm.com> wrote:
>
> > I was contacted by SBC(telephone service) about DSL service
> > which I  want.  While talking to
> > the rep, found out that their DSL service wont work on Linux
> > OS(they say  just MSWindows and
> > MacIntosh OS).  I find this hard to believe and am wondering if
> > someone  in SBC's service region
> > is using it and can fill me in on the details.  As best I can
> > get out of  SBC, the problem is involved
> > in accessing the linux windows gui.  It seems that all the modem
> > drivers  are built in and are not
> > accessable except by the GUI.  No other high speed internet
> > service is
> >
> > availale in my location
> > and it would be nice if there is someway that I could use it.
> > If there  is anyone using this
> > service via SBC, I would certainly appreciate hearing from you.
> >
> > Appreciate any replys.
>
> I've used SBC/Yahoo DSL with Linux. Service was turned on around
> Oct. of 2004, if I remember right. You have to use a Windows or
> Mac machine to set it up, as they don't assign you a username or
> password until you go through the setup software that they ship
> you. After that is all setup and tested, run pppoeconfig on the
> Linux machine and enter the username and password you setup
> previously.
>
> After that, everything works great. I didn't even notice much
> downtime (surprisingly) in the area where I was using it. I
> believe it was a Speedstream modem they shipped to me... it was
> the 'default' modem that came capable of connecting to your
> computer via ethernet or usb at any rate. I didn't pay for the
> upgrade to a wireless modem or anything, as I already had
> wireless. I used ethernet for talking to the modem and never had
> reason to try usb.
>
> HTH,
> Jacob

I use SBC DSL, and their router, with no problems.

The service person came and made sure it was all hooked up and
working.  I setup the correct IP numbers in my computers and it all
works fine.  I don't use anything but their lines ... meaning that I
haven't gone and setup a username/password or use their email
services.

--
Raquel
Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has