Re: SBC DSL Service

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:42:00 -0500
Debian User Leonard Chatagnier <lenc@ruralcomm.com> wrote:

> I was contacted by SBC(telephone service) about DSL service which I
> want.  While talking to
> the rep, found out that their DSL service wont work on Linux OS(they
> say  just MSWindows and
> MacIntosh OS).  I find this hard to believe and am wondering if
> someone  in SBC's service region
> is using it and can fill me in on the details.  As best I can get out
> of  SBC, the problem is involved
> in accessing the linux windows gui.  It seems that all the modem
> drivers  are built in and are not
> accessable except by the GUI.  No other high speed internet service is
>
> availale in my location
> and it would be nice if there is someway that I could use it.  If
> there  is anyone using this
> service via SBC, I would certainly appreciate hearing from you.
> Appreciate any replys.

I've used SBC/Yahoo DSL with Linux. Service was turned on around Oct. of
2004, if I remember right. You have to use a Windows or Mac machine to
set it up, as they don't assign you a username or password until you go
through the setup software that they ship you. After that is all setup
and tested, run pppoeconfig on the Linux machine and enter the username
and password you setup previously.

After that, everything works great. I didn't even notice much downtime
(surprisingly) in the area where I was using it. I believe it was a
Speedstream modem they shipped to me... it was the 'default' modem
that came capable of connecting to your computer via ethernet or usb at
any rate. I didn't pay for the upgrade to a wireless modem or anything,
as I already had wireless. I used ethernet for talking to the modem and
never had reason to try usb.

HTH,
Jacob