Re: CNN Videos - No Sound

Kenneth Jacker wrote:
>   david> What program are you using to view these videos (totem,
>   david> mplayer, etc)?
>
> I'm running linux-2.6.8-2-686. I click links (with 'firefox') on the
> CNN "video site", and a new window is created.  Within it is the
> opening "Media Player" animated logo which eventually displays the
> (silent) piece I've selected.

So far I can't figure out what player you are using.

> "About:plugins" in 'firefox' shows, "Windows Media Player Plug-in
> Dynamic Link Library", followed by:
>
>      MIME TYPE                  DESC            SUFFIXES ENABLED
>      application/asx            Media Files     *        Yes
>      video/x-ms-asf-plugin      Media Files     *        Yes
>      application/x-mplayer2     Media Files     *        Yes
>      video/x-ms-asf             Media Files     asf,asx,* Yes
>      video/x-ms-wm              Media Files     wm,*     Yes
>      audio/x-ms-wma             Media Files     wma,*    Yes
>      audio/x-ms-wax             Media Files     wax,*    Yes
>      video/x-ms-wmv             Media Files     wmv,*    Yes
>      video/x-ms-wvx             Media Files     wvx,*    Yes

Something has been installed to play those files but I can't determine
from this what player that would be.

Try downloading a video and then playing the video directly using an
application such as mplayer or vlc.  I suspect that will work fine.
(However, getting the video from the web site I suspect to be trouble
because they try to make that difficult.)

Earlier you wrote:
> I can hear sound from CDs, radio and TV, but not when viewing CNN
> videos via 'firefox'.  I've messed with various "mixer" setting, but
> still can't hear anything (BTW, which mixer channel should it be?)

Those may be using the direct wire from device to device.  For example
when playing CDs directly from the player a different audio path is
usually taken than when playing stored music files.  So it may be that
you can play CDs but not other audio on the machine.

Can you play mp3s or oggs when you have this sound problem?

Bob