Re: CNN Videos - No Sound

On 7/11/05, Kenneth Jacker <khj@be.cs.appstate.edu> wrote:
> I'm running linux-2.6.8-2-686.  I click links (with 'firefox') on the
> CNN "video site", and a new window is created.  Within it is the
> opening "Media Player" animated logo which eventually displays the
> (silent) piece I've selected.

I don't know if this helps at all, but I've found that after a java
applet has used sound, flash no longer has sound.  The "fix" for this
has been to restart firefox.  Have you tried playing one of the video
clips right after starting your browser?

Another thing to check is the "PCM" level on your mixer.  I've found
that with some players I get the highest volume when PCM is set at or
near the max, and for others it has to be around 1/2.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh