Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 bug or my own stupidity?

On (11/07/05 15:52), Tom wrote:
> Hey ho,
>
> A couple of days ago, I wanted to start using PostgreSQL instead of
> MySQL. Figuring Debian packages mostly function properly out of the
> box, a source installation seemed not worth the trouble, so I apt-get
> installed postgresql-8.0.
>
> Everything seemed fine at first, but when I tried to take the approach
> with the five steps for the impatient, as described in README.Debian.gz
> in /usr/share/doc/postgresql-common/, things just won't work out...
>
> The second step would be to open a shell for the postgres user, after
> that, I should "createuser -A -D <my Unix login>", but here's how that
> goes:
>
> [16:44:30 tom ~] su -c "su postgres"
> Password:
> [16:44:41 tom ~] createuser -A -D tom
> createuser: could not connect to database template1: FATAL:  user "tom"
> does not exist
> [16:44:53 tom ~]
>
> Firstly, the su-to-postgres doesn't seem to work. In my auth.log, I can
> see logins for postgres that don't even last a second... Second, the
> error message seems to suggest it's trying to connect to the (default?)
> database of template1, which I don't think is what I want, either...
>
> I hope I'm not overlooking something very obvious, or otherwise asking
> the wrong questions, but could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Not really answering your question directly nor being in anyway expert
having just installed postgresql for the first time just recently, I did
the following as postgres:

$ psql

and then created created users using SQL.

In theory it should work from the command line but I never tried it.

HTH

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...