Re: Second time on hostname

Thomas Hood wrote:
> Haines Brown wrote:
> > Thanks for the advice re. format of /etc/hosts. I've now set it to:
> >   127.0.0.1 	localhost.localdomain localhost
> >   192.168.1.1  	teufel.hartford-hwp.com teufel
> > which seems a lot cleaner.
>
> Yes.

Small tuning.  I would remove the localhost.localdomain part.  That
would leave it to look like this.

  127.0.0.1 	localhost
  192.168.1.1  	teufel.hartford-hwp.com teufel

I know the debian-installer leaves the localhost.localdomain in the
file.  I believe the intention was that the .localdomain would be
edited to become the actual local domain name and this would be a hint
to the local user to do so.  But nothing does that and it is left as
localdomain in the file.  To the best of my knowledge no software
treats "localdomain" as a magic word and maps it.  But I have had
software (non-debian, cad tools) get confused by that entry.  If you
are only running Debian software you probably won't notice either way.

Bob