Re: 2.6.11 kernel in sarge?

On 7/9/05, Dave Ewart <davee@sungate.co.uk> wrote:

> Given the choice of:

> B. Download the most recent source package from Debian and build it
> using make-kpkg
>
> -> No, unnecessary.  And, in any case, you will probably need to go
> outside Sarge to get the source for the more recent kernel anyway!

I would like to make myself more clear here.
There are two specific situations as below.
I want to compile a driver for example slmodemd. For this I had source
fron debian site downloaded and installed. This gave only .bz2 file in
/usr/src. I extracted the same in /usr/src. Still I get error no
kernel source. Is it necessary that I should have corresponding
headers files in addition to source. For example, I had
kernel-image-2.6.11-1-686_2.6.11-5_i386.deb and source
kernel-source-2.6.11_2.6.11-5_all.deb When I tried to compile slmodem,
I got error as source is not installed.
2) In situations like drivers for NIC is not in stock kernel like tg3
is in 2.6.8-2-686 but not in 2.6.11-1-686. Now I have to recompile
source for 2.6.11-1-686. Whethers headers are required or not. How
should I proceed in this case?

--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/