Re: 2.6.11 kernel in sarge?

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:20:17 +0100
Dave Ewart <davee@sungate.co.uk> wrote:

> On Friday, 08.07.2005 at 20:09 +0200, Mikael Backman wrote:
>
> > Is there a way for me to download the debian 2.6.11 kernel and use it
> > in sarge?
>
> Yes, but it's not technically part of Sarge.  Easiest way to do this is
> to add 'unstable' to your sources.list, download the latest Sid kernel,
> install it and make sure it's working, then remove 'unstable' from your
> sources.list.

Please, Please, DO NOT do this! It may work now since stable and
unstable are not too far apart, but it could lead to disaster later
down the road.

I STRONGLY encourage you to learn how to use the Debian kernel tools like
"make-kpkg" to compile custom kernels from the Debian or kernel.org
sources. I found the following on a Google search, but there are plenty of
other guides around:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Good Luck,
--