Re: CPU fans shut off by Debian?

Stephen Lokitz <lokitz@petsparc.duhs.duke.edu> writes:

> 	I am running Sarge 2.4.27-2-686-smp on an intel SR1435VP2(which is
> a 1U server platform)  with dual 2.8 Xeon processors.  I am required to
> run the 2.4 kernel for my application.  What appears to happen is that at
> some random time after power on (~6-20 hrs), the cpu fans shut off which
> causes the system to overheat and shut down.

Stephen:

Assuming the fans are plugged in via standard 3-pin cables to the
motherboard, have you considered the low-tech solution of getting a
couple of Y-adapters of the kind shown here:

        http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/3-PINto4-PIN.html

and plugging the fans into the "dumb" 4-pin power supply so they never
shut off?

If you want to monitor the fan speed (but still stop the BIOS from
trying to control it), you can get the variation shown here:

        http://www.xpcgear.com/3to4pinycabw.html

which has the additional advantage that it's a little more compact.

--
Kevin <buhr+debian@asaurus.net>