Alsa default card (card0) with multiple cards

How do I make a sound card my default card at boot using alsa?  I have
2 cards, ICE1712 and Intel8x0.  ICE1712 is loaded as card0 at  boot.
Using alsaconf I can change cards so that Intel8x0 is card0 and ICE1712
card1.  alsaconf asks if I want to modify /etc/modprobe.d/sound or
/etc/modprobe.conf but neither are present.

How do I change my configuration so that the Intel8x0 is card0 at boot and
ICE1712 is card1?

--

                                Lance Hoffmeyer
                              lance@augustmail.com

          The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and
                          governments to gain ground.
                                       -
                                Thomas Jefferson