device problem

I am having a problem with changing device-event
number. I have a usb mouse and a usb tablet. On
boot-up, the mouse is mouse0, event1 and the tablet is
mouse1, event2. Once I go online with my usb ADSL
router, the mouse becomes mouse1, event2 and the
tablet is mouse2, event3. And this causes both device
to freeze. I am running 'testing' with kernel-2.6.3
with hot-plug.
Which is the best way to deal with this, bearing in
mind I would be adding more devices in the future.
Would appreciate some help.

Ken