Re: Installation Questions

Rapp, Chad M wrote:

>I have to quick questions, I have limited experience on UNIX machines and I am looking to setup a dual-boot system on my home PC with Debian Linux/Windows XP.
>
>1- Do you know of any freeware/shareware utilities that I can partition my disk with.  fdisk and fips are both shutout by XP.

This is almost certainly because your XP partition is NTFS, the details
of which Microsoft keeps secret. There's been a lot of work on
reverse-engineering NTFS, with quite a bit of success, but not enough to
make it safe for a non-Microsoft-approved partitioning tool. parted
_might_ do the job nowadays, but last time I checked, it didn't. I think
you'll either have to go with a commercial tool, like Partition Magic,
or backup XP, and manually resize the partition and restore/reinstall
XP. An easier way would be to use another hard drive for the Linux side.

>2- I am looking to do a network install but the only access I currently have to the internet is a WLAN.  Is there a way to download/install a package that will allow me to configure my WLAN on Debian and if so what package/utilities will I need.

If you have a well-supported WLAN card, you should have no worries, the
netinstall CD should have what you need. If you have a not-supported
WLAN card (or poorly supported card), good luck, Buddy; you'll need it.

--
Kent